Fraunces Tavern Carrot Tea Cake - American Cake - Meh

It's pretty enough
I love carrots. 
My kid will tell you I'd cook them all the time if she'd eat them. I do cook them regularly in things let her pick around because you know, it's not a restaurant I'm running here. This recipe comes from a restaurant Washington dined at. 

I saw this recipe and thought, yes! Carrot cake. Then I looked more closely and saw it was going to be dense because this predates chemical leavening. I was pleasantly surprised that it got taller than I expected however, it was still a tighter crumb than what I find pleasant. At two cups of sugar to two cups of flour this is a sweet, solid cake. 

I'm looking forward to the invention of baking soda, to be honest. 

4 medium carrots, peeled, simmered, then grated
.75 cup butter (12 tablespoons)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg or mace 
.5 teaspoon salt

350 degree oven, 10 inch springform pan, sprayed and lined with parchment. 

Simmer the carrots until tender, drain, cool and grate. 
Cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs and mix until smooth and satiny. Add the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly about a minute on a stand mixer. Stir in the carrots by hand. Pour into the cake pan and bake 40 minutes until a tester inserted comes out clean.

Serve with whipped cream. 

 

Comments